How many of us would be lost without our computer systems? I know I would be. But, at the same time, you cannot eliminate the risk that your computer will never crash. So, what do you do to minimize your loss? Here are some ideas:
- Develop an alternate power supply.
- Protect against power surges.
- When the air crackles, disconnect the modem.
- Be sure you’re insured.
- Use a password and change it frequently.
- Protect your files.
- Segregate responsibilities.
- Back it up.
- Keep your backup disks or tape in a safe place, preferably miles away from your business.
- Keep a paper trail
- Develop emergency operating procedures
- Limit access
- Allow business use only
- Be careful downloading
- Have a computer check-up done
These things wont prevent a crash, but they will get your business up and running faster if one does occur.